As I walked on stage I asked them what song they were playing. The guitar player said, “Don’t worry about it. Just use your ear and jam man!”
Wait! What? Oh no!
They played the first few notes and immediately my nerves starting taking over.
And a few measures later it became abundantly clear how unprepared I was as a musician.
You see, I had been trying to teach myself jazz piano for 3 years.
But it was so obvious now that what I was practicing was absolutely the wrong stuff.
I was playing the same old cliche licks. You know the ones that everybody’s heard 1000 times before?
My chops, my chords, my licks, my ear, my scales, were not where they needed to be either.
Worst of all, my improvisation was a disaster.
The 1 Ingredient All Jazz Musicians Must Master
I mean, jazz is an art form built on improvisation and I had completely neglected this in my practice!
My horrible improvisation skills had just ruined the whole night.
I even looked out in the crowd and I saw a few people laughing at me.
After the song was over, I limped away from the keyboard and immediately left the party. How could I show my face again?
I was so depressed that I didn’t leave the house for 2 weeks. It was horrible.
It had been 2 weeks since that awful night when I received a phone call from my friend Tommy.
Tommy invited me to a George Benson concert to try and cheer me up.
At this point I was plain desperate. I needed inspiration in anyway that i could get it. So, I reluctantly agreed.
I was just getting out of the house to try and cheer myself up but this small decision proved to be a life changing moment.
How I Met My Jazz Piano Mentor David Garfield
It’s funny how listening to great music sometimes can heal your soul. Because that night was special.
Yes, George was good.
But, what truly blew my mind was the inspiring playing of his keyboard player David Garfield.
I’d never heard anybody play jazz piano like that in my life. If I can be honest. David Garfield stole the show!
David had the audience rocking in their seats every time he took a solo.
From the licks, to the chops, to the chords, it was some of the deepest jazz improvisation I’d ever heard.
And David's playing was super soulful and from the heart. I was spellbound.
What Does It Take To Be A Great Jazz Improviser?
I was so inspired by David's amazing playing that I did something very bold.
I desperately had to learn how he was doing it.
After the gig was over I walked up to David and asked him if he would teach me.
I knew this was crazy. And the chances were probably 1 in a million.
You see players like David rarely reveal their secrets. And certainly not to players who weren’t already in the exclusive club of ‘real musicians’.
When Legends Need A Pianist This Is Who They Call
I mean David was playing piano for many of the biggest legends in the music industry.
People like George Benson, Freddie Hubbard, David Sanborn, Natalie Cole, Manhattan Transfer, Don Henley, Eddie Van Halen, Michael McDonald Boz Scaggs, Cher, Michael Bolton, and so many other greats.
Reluctantly, I revealed to David my improvisation failures.
The pain and embarrassment I felt when I fell flat on my face in front of other musicians.
He must have saw the look of desperation in my face. And to my shock he agreed to teach me.
It was truly an incredible stroke of luck for me!
You see when David agreed to mentor me I began a 10 year journey that revolutionized my musical life.
My improvisation improved beyond my wildest imagination.
How I Revolutionized My Jazz Improvisation
Armed with my new skills, I finally started to pick up some local gigs.
They went great and word started getting out about how much I had improved my playing.
Next thing I know I was gigging 5 nights a week in some of the hottest clubs in Chicago.
I was finally playing with some of the best musicians in the city.
It felt amazing but it didn’t stop there...
Within 4 years I was touring nationally. A few years after that I was:
- Touring around the world (14 different countries in 2 years)
- Appearing on TV (NBC, ABC, & WGN)
- Playing on radio (NPR & WLUP)
- Even playing with Grammy Award Winners (Buddy Guy, Koko Taylor, etc.)
My transformation was amazing!
Yes, I practiced smart, but David's incredible training pushed my playing to levels I could only dream of.
Top L.A. Pianist Tours With 6 Time Grammy Award Winner
In 2017, David’s career took off even more.
Not only was he the musical director for George Benson but he also started gigging with legendary saxophone player David Sanborn.
(Yes, the 6 Time Grammy Award Winning Jazz Superstar.)
So, with a busy touring schedule David's availability was virtually non existent.
Short supply went to no supply!
This was very bad news for jazz improvisation education.
Time To Unlock A Lifetime Of Jazz Improvisation Secrets
I couldn’t stand the thought that all those amazing jazz improvisation secrets were now essentially ‘locked away’.
I knew I had to do something about it. So, I was compelled to share all the life changing musical discoveries I had learned from him with as many people as possible.
So, this spring, I flew David to our studio in Chicago.
Together we created a brand new DVD program to help students unlock the hidden secrets of the greatest jazz improvisers.
It uses the same blueprint I used to completely revolutionize my jazz skills.
And the best part is I personally guarantee it will work for you.
The even better news is you can learn our entire system from the comfort of your home in our new video program:
"The Jazz Improvisation Super System"
Watch This Amazing Video To See What You'll Learn!
And, You'll Also Discover These Incredible Things...
- How The Best Players Really Use Scales To Create Beautiful Melodies & Improvisation (Hint: 95% Of Average Players Miss This Step!)
- How To Simplify Complex Chord Progressions So You Can Easily Play Every Chord You See (Even If You’re Not A Music Theory Expert)
- David's Trick For Playing Confidently Over Fast Chord Changes (It's astonishing how few people know this, yet it’s easy and even a person with “slow fingers” can do it.)
- Simple Scale Hacks That Let Even Total Newbies Play Solos That Sound Fluid, Creative, & Musical. (This Is What Lets People Who Are Brand Spanking New To Improv Quickly Create Pleasing Solos Out Of Thin Air.)
- 97 Examples Of How To Turn Boring Old Fashioned Scale Exercises Into Unlimited New Patterns & Melodies. (Learn How To Do This & You Can Spin Almost ANY Musical Concept You Learn Into A Great Improvisation.)
- How To Weave Patterns In Your Solos Without Sounding Obnoxious Or Turning People Off. (In Fact, Do It The Way We Show You, & People Will Practically Look Forward To Those Moments In Your Music)
- How To Play The Best Jazz, Latin, And Blues Comping Chords That The Top Pros Use To Supercharge Their Songs.
Listen to what Fleetwood Mac's keyboard player Brett Tuggle said about learning from David...
But We Didn't Stop There...
- Hundreds Of Playing Examples So You Can Watch And Learn Every Move That David Makes.
- How To Play Voicings In Your Tunes That Make Even Your Most Challenging Songs Sound Smooth. (We Learned This Chord Technique From Jazz Legend McCoy Tyner & It's One Of the Single Best Ways To Unlock Your Musical Ear & Play Without Written Music I've Ever Seen.)
- How To Use Strange & Bizarre Musical Patterns To Grab Your Audience’s Attention Almost Every Time. (Especially When 95% Of Players Are Playing The Same Old Boring Cliches That Make Audiences Tune Out.)
- Simple Pentatonic Patterns That Allow You To Play Great Sounding “Side Stepping Licks” Without Ever Sounding Like You’re Hitting Wrong Notes.
Check out what Grammy Nominated Vocalist Shemekia Copeland had to say...
Listen to what Cliff said about learning from David...
Check out what jazz educator Anita Robles had to say about David's music...
- David's Tricks For Personalizing Every Tune You Play Using Pro Chord Substitutions (Move #2 and #6 Work Like A Charm Even On Audiences Filled With Other Musicians.)
- The Specific Jazz Piano Voicings That Sound Best In Today’s Jazz Improvisation. (Hint: If Your Not Using These You Run The Risk Of Sounding Outdated At The Keys.)
- David's Modern Blues Chord Voicings & That Make Your Blues Sound More Ultra Sophisticated & Cutting Edge.
Check out what Hall Of Fame Pianist Mike Finnigan had to say...
Here's What You Get Inside
"The Jazz Improvisation Super System" 3 DVD Set
- Over 5 hours of Jam Packed Video Training On Jazz Improvisation.
- A Step By Step Exploration Of Hundreds Of Jazz Improv Secrets That Can Be Used On Thousands Of Jazz Songs.
- 116 Pages of Downloadable Sheet Music, Transcriptions, Written Examples, Licks, Chords, Templates, & Jam Tracks.
- An Easy To Follow Action Plan That Will Help You Improvise Over Your Favorite Songs Quickly & Easily.
- Tons Of On Screen Video & Text That Makes Learning Every Note Fun, Easy, & Accessible.
- You Don’t Need to Know How To Read Music Either. All The Songs, Scales, Patterns, Licks And Chords Are Notated, But You Can Just As Easily Play, Pause And Rewind The Video As Much As You Like!
It's Time To Sweeten The Deal Even More.
I'm Going To Include These FREE Bonuses With Your Order Today. (For A Limited Time Only.)
Bonus #1: Secrets Of 5 Modern Jazz Masters (Video Lesson)
- Discover powerful playing techniques from keyboard legends Chick Corea, McCoy Tyner, Herbie Hancock, Cedar Walton, & Horace Silver.
- Includes note for note transcriptions and drills of how to incorporate their sound in your playing so you can master every move!
Bonus #3: MIDI Files For Every Song & Pattern In “The Jazz Improvisation Super System”
- Study every move we make right inside your favorite program.
- Watch every note move on your computer.... IN TIME! Slow down and transpose your favorite songs, licks and chords to any key.
Bonus #5: Amazing Afro Cuban & Latin Comping Techniques
- Learn 7 exciting moves you can use to inject an exciting Latin & Salsa flavor to your piano playing.
- Video demonstration of every single move so you can watch & learn every note step by step.
- Note for note sheet music for all 7 moves.
My Offer To You
- If you were to work with us 1 on 1 as a private student for over 5 hours you would have to invest $1500 for your sessions with us.
- In order to make this product available to everybody we’ve decided to price "The Jazz Improvisation Super System" 3 DVD course at a fraction of that cost.
- You’re going to be learning our BEST secrets for jazz improvisation all in the comfort of your own home.
- Additionally, you’ll be able to watch as we break down each concept in depth as many times as you like and you’re only going to pay a fraction of what it would cost to hire us 1 on 1.
Get The Jazz Improvisation Super System Now!
"My 30 Day 100% Money Back Guarantee..."
Here's my Completely Risk-Free, No-Worries, Guarantee
This DVD set comes with my 100% money back guarantee for 30 days. If you don't like it for any reason all you have to do is send me an email and say 'refund please' and I'll promptly refund you.
No questions asked. Plus, you can keep the bonuses that I offer with the program.
You do not risk anything by ordering now.
I wish you complete success and lots of enjoyment with the course!
Coauthor of the "Jazz Improvisation Super System"
P.S. I can't wait to hear about your success with the course!